Mar 31, 2017 - Coral snakes, part of the Elapidae family, are also a venomous snake that poses a risk to pets
Numerous factors can affect your cat’s chances of recovery from coral snake bite poisoning. To give your pet the best chance of making a full recovery, seek veterinary assistance as soon as possible. The earlier your cat is given an appropriate antivenin, the greater the chance of recovery. Even with early treatment, your cat may be hospitalized for several days. Until they are able to breathe, eat and drink, and move about on their own, they will require medical care. Once your pet has been released to go home, you should continue to monitor their wound site and their behavior. Follow all your veterinarian’s instructions carefully, including medications and follow-up visits. If you observe signs of infection, contact your veterinarian immediately. Most cats that are successfully treated will fully recover within a week or two, with weakness being the symptom that lasts the longest.
Saving a cat with coral snake bite poisoning requires multiple treatment methods. The poisoning itself will be treated as will the associated symptoms. Treatment requires medical care and should begin as soon as possible. Most cats with this type of poisoning will require a few days of hospitalization to recover. It is not possible to treat coral snake poisoning at home. If you believe your pet has been bitten, keep them calm and immobile and get them to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Do not attempt to suck or drain venom from the wound, apply ice, or apply a tourniquet. These steps can actually cause more damage. Your veterinarian will use some or all of the following treatments:
Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Dogs | petMD
Coral Snake Bite Poisoning in Cats | petMD
Exotic pet handlers are becoming more and more common in this day and age. Many people are seeking out new and unique animals to house and take care of on their own. Of course, snake hobbyists are no exception. In fact, one of the desired “exotic” snakes is the Eastern coral snake.People commonly wonder with such bold marking why are coral snakes commonly overlooked in discussions when compared with rattlesnakes. Although coral snake are venomous and can cause death by respiratory paralysis, bites are less likely to occur. The reason for this is that coral snakes usually flee an altercation with a pet. If they have to resort to biting a pet, usually less venom is injected compared to the rattlesnake with one bite. Coral snakes usually need to chew on an animal to ensure enough venom is injected to kill. The venom is quite potent and can cause paralysis, drooling, shortness of breath, inability to bark, diarrhea, convulsions, decreased reflexes, shock, and death to respiratory paralysis. The start of some or all of these clinical signs can take up to 18 hours from the time of the bite. Resolution of the signs can then take days to weeks. Dallas' tale of recovery didn't start at the Affiliated Veterinary Services pet hospital in Maitland, but at his Oviedo home on Monday. His owner, Craig Thompson, says the two-year-old border collie mix was bitten by a coral snake.Several species of snakes are venomous and extremely dangerous to pets. , commonly found in the Southeastern United States, are very poisonous to all pets and farm animals. The saying “red next to black is a friend of Jack; red next to yellow is a dangerous fellow,” applies to their colorful ringed bands. Coral snake venom contains neurotoxins that can cause respiratory failure and muscle paralysis. Symptoms are acute paralysis (not being able to move or walk), problems breathing, and sometimes collapsing. Treatment typically includes supportive measures, particularly respiratory. Anti-venom is effective, but not readily available.