While feeding pets bones is healthy for the pet and to be encouraged, it must be done as safely as possible. Here are some tips to help you.
According to FDA records, the office received its first complaint about the Dynamic Pet Product ham bone in August 2006. An FDA representative said that a company official claimed at that time that Dynamic Pet Products had received no previous complaints about the bones. FDA records detail several similar complaints in the years that followed.
“In general, the FDA advises pet owners not to give their dogs bones from animals/meats because they can obstruct the animal’s gastrointestinal tract,” the statement said.
Dynamic Pet Products, take your “Real Ham Bones” of the market!
Dental bones that your pet will love!
BBB advises consumers to exercise caution when buying the bones, which are distributed under the Dynamic Pet Products label of of Washington, Mo.A pet owner from Schaumburg, Ill., said she purchased two of the bones for a Christmas gift for her two small Shih Tzus. Four hours after chewing the bones, both dogs became seriously ill. She said one of the dogs improved, but she ultimately took the second animal to a local veterinary hospital which charged her $477 to treat the dog.One month later, FDA issued a news release warning that “bones are unsafe for your dog.” The release quoted an FDA veterinarian saying that “giving your dog a bone may make your pet a candidate for a trip to your veterinarian’s office, possible emergency surgery, or even death.” The FDA release did not mention any specific product.We've all heard the saying, 'Don't feed your dog chicken bones!' But really, feeding any cooked bone to your dog is dangerous because cooked bones may splinter and damage the stomach and intestines. Raw bones do not normally splinter. Many pets enjoy chewing raw chicken or turkey necks and raw chicken wings that are free of salmonella and other bacteria. Raw beef knuckle bones are also delicious treats. Work with your holistic veterinarian to do what is best for your individual pet.A pet owner from Vancouver, Wash., said she bought one of the bones for her 76-pound Labrador mix on Feb. 21. She rushed the dog to her veterinarian after it became violently ill. She said the doctor blamed the illness on the bone. “It was really scary,” she said.Packaging labels ask that pet owners supervise their animals after giving them the pork bones. “Bone is to be chewed over several sittings, not eaten. Remove bone immediately if splintering occurs or small fragments break off.”