6 Best Small Pets to Consider for Your Child - Parents
Feeding: Commercial pellets, prairie hay, fresh vegetables and water; daily dose of vitamin C
This list of the best pets for children includes pet reptiles that require basic feeding, as well as small mammal pets that might allow kids to play with them and even cuddle. Vote up those animals you think make the best pets for families with children to move them to the top of the list. If you believe a kid can handle a dog, great! Vote it up - and also check out this list of the best dog breeds for kids. If you don't think children should have even the best exotic pets, vote them down. This list includes the best pets for young children and small children as well as good pets for older children. What do you think are the best low maintenance pets for kids? Use this best pets for kids list to decide if your child is ready to care of an animal!
Parakeet These small, beautiful, brightly colored birds make wonderful pets for small spaces. They readily bond with their humans, so interaction is needed. These feathered friends can sing and whistle if trained to do so. They eat pellets, fruits and veggies. They can be delicate, so are best for older children. Parakeets can live up to nine years.
Best Small Animal Pets For Children - Petcha
The Best Small Pets For Children - Essortment
10. Hedgehogs Hedgehogs are really cute small animals who need very little attention, but mind you- if you don’t socialize often with your hedgehog or pet it, the hedgehog could turn into a biter, which might pose problems later. Hedgehogs are for those people who require a more “advanced” pet
9. Guinea pigs Guinea pigs are considered as the sweetest and most sociable of any pet rodent, they are definitely one of the larger rodents out there however. A guinea pig will measure between 8 to 12 inches from nose to tip of the back when fully grown. They are extremely cute, cuddly and like to socialize with their owners and other guinea pigs. They have a life span of 5-10 years and are great as a “starter pet”, suitable for children of any age group.
8. Hamsters Hamsters are extremely popular due to their cute looks, furry coat and relatively inexpensive care requirements.
7. Rats A rat may not be what you were thinking of when your kid asked for a pet, but they are extremely sociable, intelligent and low maintenance.
6. Gerbils Gerbils are group animals and are generally kept in groups of two to four. They are quite inexpensive, and a ten gallon tank should be enough for a couple of these cute little rodents.
5. Ferrets Ferrets are extremely active, highly inquisitive and very agile animals. Not to mention that they are super cute and furry as well. They also have a longer lifespan than most small pets, at around 8-10 years.
4. Chinchillas Of all the furry little creatures on this list, Chinchillas are the furriest. They have a deep, velvety coat of hair. In fact their fur coat is so velvety that the best thing about getting your new pet will be holding it.
3. Hermit Crab Hermit crabs are one of those small pets that are not very common, but nevertheless quite well mannered, insanely cheap, and make for great pets.
2. Parrots Parrots are the most popular domestic bird and for good reason. They are playful and interactive by nature, not o mention the fact that are very beautiful to look at.
1. Rabbits Rabbits are extremely cute, cuddly and intelligent pets with a playful nature. However they are not recommended for small children as the rabbit does not like to be handled roughly and gets startled easily by the quick movements of a little kid.If you’re interested in other pet species besides small animals and want to find out the best pets for children, be sure to check out these articles about kid-friendly animals.