Animal Shelters in Anchorage, AK - Anchorage Press
Best Animal Shelters in Anchorage, AK 99506 - Anchorage Animal Control, Alaska Humane Society, Alaska SPCA Thrift Shop, Friends of Pets.
If you need to rehome your pet, it's important to understand that Friends of Pets is a group of volunteers who operate from their homes, and does not have a shelter facility to accept your pet. We are mandated to rescue at least 80% of our animals from Anchorage Animal Care & Control, so community rescues are rare except in critical circumstances like the owner's death. We do have several suggestions for you as you seek to rehome your animal companion:
(1) Adopters generally are looking for healthy animals. Make sure your pet is spayed or neutered, current on vaccinations, and has any outstanding medical problems under treatment. (2) Run an ad in the (257-4444) . We recommend that you ask a rehoming fee, to screen out people who may be irresponsible or unable to afford to keep a pet, and we also have a list of screening questions that can help identify a good home. or call our main number (562-2535, message box #7) for this list.
(3) Place online ads on or other bulletin boards. Again, be thoughtful about the quality of responses you receive before you place your pet in someone else's hands.
(4) Make notices with photos of your pet, and post them at veterinary clinics, grooming shops, pet supply stores. Let your vet's office know you are seeking to rehome your pet.
(5) If you are thinking of rehoming your pet because of a behavior problem, please call us for possible solutions that may keep you from parting with your pet. or call our main number (562-2535, message box #7) for information resources to address pet behavior problems.
(6) If you are thinking of leaving your pet behind when you move, we can also give you helpful tips and strategies that may allow you to relocate with your pet instead. or call our main number (562-2535, message box #7) for information on moving and travel with pets.
When the city’s Animal Control contract was awarded to ALPS (a subsidiary of Doyon), Friends of Pets was invited by the municipality and the contractor to participate in that transition as an independent voice for the shelter animals. We worked with ALPS to assure a positive transition that would enhance animal care and improve public service. This working relationship continues to be an effective and dynamic one. During a rewrite of the Title 17 ordinance for animal control, we worked closely with the Animal Control Advisory Board on key points. We negotiated the renaming of the shelter to the Anchorage Animal Care & Control Center as well as helped to make mandatory spay/neuter of shelter animals a reality.
Alaskan Animal Rescue Friends - Petfinder
549 W International Airport Rd, Anchorage, AK 99518, USA.